5 Tips for Finding Roommates in China
5 Tips for Finding Roommates in China
Finding an apartment as well as finding roommates in China isn’t as easy as it seems, albeit much easier than in your own country. Strangely enough, most of us end up living with complete strangers out of necessity. In our own countries, usually we can’t imagine ourselves checking out the classifieds for roommates. For one thing, in the USA, even though we have lots of great and mild tempered normal people, you could be moving in with a crackhead-ax-murderer-child-molester, and I’m sure those exist elsewhere as well, I am just presently speaking for my own country for fear of reprehension. Here in China, we end up finding apartments with roommates we don’t know, or have to move to a city alone to find one. Here are some tips for people for finding roommates in China because we know that just like everywhere else, there are bad roommates in China as well, both expat and Chinese.
First of all, go meet the roommate, and be realistic. If you don’t get along with them within the first few minutes, it’s probably not going to work out. Some people can grow on you but it's better not to take the chance.
1. Be open-minded but be realistic- Be open to living with people from other cultures but be aware of what kind of person you can live with. If you hate cat people, living with someone who has a litter of kittens is a bad idea. If you are a hardcore vegetarian moving in with a butcher, this might cause problems. If you don’t like the way girls act, don’t live with girls. If you think that guys are messier, then maybe it’s not smart to live with guys. If you hate smoking, be up front about it.
2. Discuss expenses upfront- If you want to pay for cable TV, make sure everyone else does too so you aren’t pushing people to buy something they don’t want. If you want to pay to have a house cleaner, make sure it’s something everyone else is willing to pay for as well or you will end up paying alone.
3. Discuss “friends” up front- Let’s be adult for a moment because many people get into confrontations about this. Many single people sometimes bring people home with them or have a girlfriend or boyfriend who stays over a few nights a week. It’s a good idea to be clear about it from the beginning, otherwise you have people inviting their girlfriends to move in without consulting you, or maybe you have some dude on your couch for a month.
4. Discuss parties up front- If you don't like parties in your apartment be clear about this from the get-go. Some people like them, some don’t. You need to be honest about your lifestyle. Be straightforward or you will run into lots of trouble later if you are the one who comes home from work or wakes up in the morning to find drunk and loud people sitting in your living room.
5. Be honest- This is the biggest mistake people make when they first meet their roommates. If you smoke, don’t hide it and then later hang out in your room puffing away. If you get off work and like to go to bed early and don’t like noise, you need to mention that. So many problems can be avoided by being up front. If you like to go out right after work and sleep in late on the weekends, then discussing your schedule is a good idea if the other roommate likes to wake up and practice the flute at 7am Saturday morning. Don’t paint a rosy picture of yourself as an obsessive compulsive cleaner if you don't even know how to use the mop.
Why choose Teach in China?
Teaching aboard especially in China can be a challenge, you need a reliable
agency to select the most suitable job for you and help you to arrange the right
visa and help you to deal with some unexpected situations is what our company is
best at helping with.
All our services are FREE. We’ll provide a one-stop service and guide you
through the whole visa process, job placement, apartment location so you can
settle in comfortably and daily assistance life guide.
Sometimes you may decide to ask for the school of your choice whether its
teaching Adults or Kindergarten at different grade levels, and you realize its
not the environment you expected because you have obtained the hands on
experience at the school and may not fit within your teaching personality. But
if you use us, we can shift you to another school right away without a gap
period and give you different options, so you will eventually be comfortable and
happy with the school of your choice that fits your teaching personality.
Lots of other agencies and schools do not have the experience in doing all visa
requirements, but since we have ten years experience arranging visas we can
assure you and your stay in China. Our experienced and comprehensive visa
service will ensure your application goes through as smoothly as possible.
Most of Chinese people’s English is not good enough to communicate with you, but
if you work with us, we will have one on one assistant service for you and to
deal with daily life and different situations.
When you finish the one year contract with us, we provide you with a TEFL/TESOL
certificate for free.
Our company has a great reputation in paying all our staff in a timely manner.
If the school is late for any payment towards our teachers our company uses its
our own money to pay you on time..
We have over 100 ESL teachers working for us, so whenever you need to meet other
ESL teachers, we can always introduce them to you to make friends and have a
really good experience during your stay in China.
We have lots of ESL teaching materials that can be used to help and assist you
as well as provide free training and help so you can be familiar with the
Chinese teaching method and give you lots of practical suggestions.